Are you addicted to buffalo hot wings? Would you like to try an easy crockpot recipe for buffalo chicken sandwiches? Jeff Mauro, The Sandwich King, made a buffalo chicken sub sandwich on his show on Food Network, here, using the same flavors as hot wings but so much simpler to make. I took that idea a step further and made this in the slow cooker. Jeff made his with chicken thighs, I used chicken breast. I also added carrots and celery. It was a great way to “sneak” in some veggies, as you don’t really taste them because of the hot sauce.
The chicken was spicy and delicious, served on french bread with a little romaine lettuce and blue cheese dressing. All the flavors of buffalo hot wings, but without any of the trouble.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup your favorite wing sauce, I used Frank’s Red Hot Thick
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 loaf french bread, or any other bread you like
- Romaine lettuce
- blue cheese or ranch dressing, for serving
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Pour oil in bottom of Crockpot or slow cooker. Place chicken in cooker, layering if necessary.
- Sprinkle brown sugar, paprika and cayenne over chicken. Place vegetables on top. Pour hot sauce over all.
- Cook on high heat for an hour. Reduce heat to low and cook another 3 hours.
- Allow chicken to cool and shred with two forks, or leave in big pieces, if you prefer.
- Serve on bread with lettuce and dressing.
If you are looking for a simple, satisfying dinner for your family, give this a try. It’s a new house favorite around here!
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out Cook The TV’s Crockpot Barbeque Chicken Sandwiches inspired by Paula Deen. The recipe is this blog’s all-time most popular post.
Do you like recipes converted for the slow cooker? How about Jeff Mauro? I find him adorable, love his show. Drop me a comment, would love to hear from you:) Di