I found this hearty, delicious Italian Chicken Casserole at PaulaDeen.com. I love a good casserole, don’t you? Throw a bunch of ingredients together and bake. What could be easier? This casserole combines some of my favorite foods, pasta, chicken and cheese. Yummy!
If you are feeding a crowd, this is the recipe for you. I filled the casserole dish, about 9 in. by 13 in. by 3 in, and still had a couple of cups of the pasta and chicken mixture left over. I just ate the extra portion for lunch and still had a full casserole to serve for dinner. It’s one of those comfort dishes everyone loves. At least, my family did. Give it a try, I think your family will love it, too.
Sometimes I make a lot of changes to a chef’s recipe. Sometimes I barely make any changes at all. This recipe is almost identical to the original, Italian Chicken and Pasta Bake, at PaulaDeen.com. The only change from the original is that I used jarred minced garlic in place of the minced fresh garlic. I like to use the jarred type, no garlic odor on your fingers!
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons jarred, minced garlic
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano ( I used Hunt’s)
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken (I cooked 3 chicken breasts for this recipe, if you have leftover chicken, feel free to use it.)
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound package bow tie pasta, or any pasta you like, cooked according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a large casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a very large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add in milk, tomatoes, and tomato sauce; cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in chopped chicken, 3 cups of the cheese, salt, pepper, and sugar. Stir in cooked pasta. Pour all into casserole dish and sprinkle the top with remaining cup of cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. It’s really a time saver, if you are feeding a large crowd or feeding a small one and want some good leftovers.
Do you love casseroles as much as I do? So easy, a few steps and dinner is done. Please feel free to leave a comment and if you like the site, please sign up for email updates in the box on the top right of this page.
Thanks so much for stopping by Di