Want a quick, easy dinner tonight? How about one that will double as breakfast tomorrow morning? This easy quiche is simple to make, delicious, and by all accounts, even better the next day. Plus, who can resist spinach when it’s baked into a tasty quiche?
This is my sister Dorothy’s recipe. Okay, okay, it’s not just her recipe. She made this and I did the hard work of photographing it, ha! She’s been making it for us lately, and we both love it. It’s filling and yet not heavy. We have it for dinner and then we have breakfast and/or lunch for the next day or two. It reheats beautifully in the microwave but you can also just remove it from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature until you’re ready to eat.
- 8 large eggs, well beaten
- ¾ cup ham, chopped in small pieces
- ½ bag frozen spinach
- 1 small onion, sweet onion, if possible
- 2 cups shredded cheese, Jarlsberg, Cheddar, or whatever kind you like
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 frozen deep dish pie shell
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake frozen pie shell about 10 minutes, do not fully cook. Saute ham, spinach and onion in a skillet over medium heat, until onion softens.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs with cream in a large mixing bowl. Pour sauteed mixture into eggs and combine well.
- Pour egg spinach mixture into partially baked pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately an hour, until eggs are set and quiche is golden brown. Check part way through cooking time; If quiche is getting brown too fast, cover with aluminum foil to finish cooking.
- Note: If you have a little extra egg mixture, pour into a ovenproof dish and bake along with the big dish, but it will probably not take as long to cook.
Dorothy says the ingredients and amounts are just a guideline. She says to add more or less of each ingredient to your preferences. We both love it with spinach, but want to try it with fresh asparagus. Also, how about throwing a little chopped tomato in? Use the cheese you love. Make it your own:)
Thanks so much for reading. Please leave a note and let me know what’s on your mind. Have a good day:) Di