Fried Green Tomato time! Crunchy, tangy green tomato goodness! Are you ready for some tasty southern fare? This recipe is sure to please…it’s so easy and fast. You’re eating delicious fried green tomatoes in no time.
- 2 large green tomatoes, washed
- 1 cup flour (divided in half)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ cup corn meal
- salt and pepper
- oil, for frying
- For horseradish sauce:
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon horseradish, or more, to taste
- Pour oil about 1-2 inches deep in a large heavy duty pot or skillet. Heat over medium-high heat until the oil reaches 375 degrees.
- If serving with horseradish sauce, mix ingredients above and place in refrigerator.
- Prepare coating for tomatoes:
- Place ½ cup flour on a plate.
- With a fork, whip together egg and milk in a small bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together corn meal, ½ cup flour and about ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Slice tomatoes about ¼ inch thick. Dip each slice into plain flour, then into egg and milk mixture, then into corn meal mixture.
- Carefully place battered tomato slices in hot oil. Cook until lightly browned, 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove slices with heat proof slotted spoon or spatula. Place on a few paper towels to drain. Salt, to taste.
- Serve immediately with hot sauce or horseradish sauce. If you want something less spicy, serve with ranch dressing.
If you grow your own tomatoes, like my friend Heather over at The Beating Hearth, these are great because you can get the tomatoes off the vine before the critters start feasting on them!
For the photo shoot on these little beauties, I used bottled Lousiana Hot Sauce, it’s just the right amount of heat to me. However, what I didn’t show is the dipping sauce I also served with them. A super easy horseradish sauce: 1/4 cup mayo mixed with a teaspoon jarred prepared horseradish and a dash of ketchup. Yum! (and, no, I didn’t eat both spicy sauces in one bite!)
If you like fried green tomatoes, be sure to stop by next week for an irresistible fried green tomato sandwich….yes, I said fried green tomato sandwich!
Hope you like this recipe:) Thanks for stopping by.
If you have a blog, be sure and comment with a link…would love to come by for a visit:)