Think tangy, smoky, crunchy, salty, sweet, hot…yes, you can have all that in one scrumptious bite! This Fried Green Tomato Bacon sandwich really delivers. I can’t wait to make it again.
- Buns or bread
- Slices of Fried Green Tomatoes, recipe link just below
- Slices of red tomatoes
- Slices of red onion
- Hot sauce, whatever kind you like
- Cook bacon according to package directions. While bacon is still hot, drizzle honey over it. I used about a tablespoon for a half pound of bacon.
- Toast buns or bread lightly. Spread mayo on bread.
- Layer honeyed bacon, both types of tomatoes, and onion slices on bread. Shake a little (or a lot!) of hot sauce over all.
Last week when I made the fried green tomatoes (recipe), I thought “why not put these bad boys on a sandwich”. I was thinking about a BLT, but then when I planned the ingredients I didn’t end up with a BLT…no L (lettuce). In fact, while I was considering what to put on this awesome sandwich, guess who made a similar one on TV? Mario Batali made a fried RED tomato sandwich for The Chew. Here’s his recipe: Farmer’s Market BLT. And yes, you surely can fry red tomatoes too:)
I did use a couple of his ideas for my sandwich. The chef added honey to his bacon. Why haven’t I ever thought of that?? My honey loves honey! I shoulda thought of that! Oh well, that’s why he’s the chef:)
Mario also added slices of raw, ripe tomato on his version. Another thing I would not have thought of. Raw tomato on a fried tomato sandwich…hmmm?!?
Of course I had my own genius ideas, too! Okay, okay maybe not genius, but darn good! I absolutely love onion with my bacon sandwiches, so I had to add that. Plus, I added hot sauce and mayo. Totally brill, ha ha!
Hope you like this recipe. Thanks so much for stopping by:)